12.1.15

Playing Burger Catch-Up! (The hunt for the perfect burger continues ...)



If you've ever checked out my instagram you might notice that I'm a bit of a burger lover! So I've decided from now on (seeing that I've set up this blog) I'm going write a little review along with an image (of course) whenever I go and try out a new burger joint or whenever I stray from my regular burger choice at any of my regular haunts!

But seeing that I've already covered quite a few of the best burger shacks in London I'm going to play catch up and list a few of my favourites ... to date!

1. MEATliquor
Address: 74 Welbeck Street, London W1G 0BA
Instagram: @meatgram
twitter: @MEATliquor

What started off as a pop-up restaurant behind Oxford Street has now turned into a pretty successful franchise, with MEATmission in Hoxton, MEAT market in Covent Garden, CHICKENliquor in Brixton and MEATliquor popping up in both Brighton and Leeds.

The menu is slightly different at most locations, with things like Monkey Fingers (Battered fillets of marinated chicken, slathered in house-made hot pepper sauce, with blue cheese) popping up on the MEATmission and CHICKENliquor menus ... which are definitley worth trying!

My go to (which is shown in the pic below) is ALWAYS:

- Buffalo Chicken Burger: Deep fried chicken fillet in the house-made hot pepper sauce, mayo, lettuce, red onions and blue cheese sauce
- Chili Cheese Fries: Fries, beef chili, cheddar cheese, onions, jalapenos and French's mustard
- Bingo Wings: Chicekn wings covered in house-made Buffalo hot pepper sauce served with a blue cheese dip

The buffalo chicken burger is actually insane. It's messy but fucking delicious! It's one of those meals that you feel too stuffed to move afterwards ... but as you're eating it you're in absolute burger heaven! If you're into chicken burgers and like a bit of spice then this is the on for you. The blue cheese sauce really does finish it off.

2. Patty & Bun
Address: 54 James Street, London W1U 1HE
Instagram: @pattyandbun
twitter: @pattyandbunjoe

P&B is just off of Oxford Street and without a doubt does the best chicken wings in central! There's always a queue but it's definitley worth the wait.

I normally go for:

- 'Hot Chic' Chicken Burger: Marinated buttermilk fried chicken, Spicy slaw, Pickled cucumbers, Lettuce, Garlic aioli in a Brioche bun
- ‘Winger Winger Chicken Dinner': Smoked confit wings with BBQ sauce & spring onions
- Chips with Rosemary salt and the optional extra of Roast Chicken Mayo & Chicken Skin Salt

This line up is what you see in my pic below ... a seriously tasty meal. The buttermilk fried chicken is delicious, and the chicken on the wings pretty much falls off of the bone (I actually eat these with a knife and fork because they're so messy!)

3. Spuntino
Address: 61 Rupert Street, London W1D 7PW
Instagram: @spuntino_soho
twitter: @spuntino

For a lesson in how to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, head to Spuntino. A challenge to find (look for ‘number 61’), the venue is laid out as a bar – and a tiny one at that, with a smattering of fixed, backless seats allowing diners to perch along the counter.

The menu has some pretty interesting dishes but I stuck to what I know ... burger and fries of course! This place is on the more expensive side of the burger shacks in London.

There's a series of smaller sliders on the menu, but I went for the 8oz burger. I went for:

- The 8oz Swiss cheese burger, chipotle and jalapeno in a brioche bun
- Chips
- Buttermilk fried chicken
- Candied bacon

The candied bacon and buttermilk chicken were the best part of the meal. The fries were pretty standard and the cheeseburger was a little dry in all honesty. The 5oz burger or a couple of sliders might have been the better option ...


4. Bodeans
Address: 10 Poland Street, London W1F 8PZ
Instagram: @bodeansbbq
twitter: @bodeansbbq

Bodeans has been a long time favourite. It's the place in Soho that was doing the pulled pork burger long before it became cool.

- Soho Special: 200g of pulled pork and burnt ends mixed in the Bodeans BBQ sauce served in a toasted flour bun
- Seasoned fries
- 6 Large hot buffalo chicken wings with home made blude cheese sauce and celery

The wings are massive, the blue cheese sauce is tasty as hell and the moist pulled pork in a rather dry flour bun is a great combination! I don't go here as much as I used to since all these other burger shacks have popped up, but it'll always be one of my favourites.


5. Hawksmoor Spitalfields Bar aka Burgers, Dogs and Wings
Address: 157A Commercial Street, London E1 6BJ
Instagram: N/A
twitter: @spitalfieldsbar

Hawksmoor isn't really my style, but at Hawsmoor Spitalfields they have a bar in the basement called Burgers, Dogs and Wings which is pretty impressive. This bar does some pretty awesome cocktails, but seeing that I don't drink I turned my attention to the food ... and boy was I not disappointed!

The twist on your average burgers, dogs and wings that Hawsmoor offers is intriguing and more importantly works!!

I went for:
- Ox cheek nuggets with kimchi dip
- Xo chicken wings
- ‘Nacho cheese’ chicken sandwich
- Triple cooked chips with Lime Pickle Mayo

Everything that I ordered was delicious!  The chips were worth cooking THREE TIMES! And the ox cheek nuggets were fantastic. Definitley check it out.


6. Twisted Burger Company
Address: 334 Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2HW, England
Instagram: @twistedburgerco
twitter: @twistedburgerco

I don't go up north much but as they say when in Rome, huh?! So I found myself in Sheffield and a friend of mine said this place does the best burger in Sheffield ... how am I suppose to say no to that?

So this pub has a pretty good vibe, really cool artwork and an interesting menu. You know the menus good when it's actually hard to decide what to choose ... and especially when you have burger envy even though you're enjoying your own choice! Well that's what happened here. After a good 10 minutes going back and forth and asking the staff what they'd recommend I eventually went for:

- The Pig Daddy Kane: Double beef patty, pulled pork, american cheese, kKraken bbq sauce and chorizo & apple jam
- Regular Joe fries


There was a number of burgers on the menu that I could have gone for (The Holy Cluck coming in at a close second). But the PDK was a good choice; a pretty tasty patty that has a similar flame grilled taste to the patty in Burger King and the pulled pork was a great addition.
The fries were more like fast food fries ... but I'm a fan of those type of fries so I was pretty content.


I may have taken the a menu away with me ... acidentally of course ;)


That's it for now. There's a few of the best burger joints I've tried so far, but this is far from over.

To be continued ...

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Joseph R Winter. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Made By pipdig